Thursday, November 16, 2006

Don't see Babel

Don't see Babel the movie. It's horrible. In fact, don't even rent it. OK fine, go ahead rent it, now that I've piqued your curiosity.

I should explain - the director, Inarritu, is known for telling a story from three points of view. (21 Grams, Amores Perros) Usually the movie is shot from three different points of view and he chops up the progression of time in the movie as well to make things interesting (the beginning in the middle, the end at the beginning, etc). In Babel, the director tells three stories that feel almost completely separate, each treating a different social ill. So the movie felt disjointed to me and neither of the three separate stories felt resolved. Plus the soundtrack was horrible. It was so bad I felt ill actually. Well, I'm pretty sure it was the music, not what I had for dinner...

2 comments:

Rebecca Allen said...

Justin, justin, justin...I have to interfere here! Babel is great movie! And the fact that it went down bad in the US (not just with you, but americans in general) says alot about it! I KNEW i would like it if the general american did not, and I found it very interesting. I enjoyed that it did not have the hollywood happy ending and was disjointed, this is life. Life is disjointed and the movie was meant to show various perspectives of life and how our inability to communicate is causing problems... love you Justin, but just had to make a comment! :)

Unknown said...

Thank Rebecca, but I don't consider myself the average American. What's the average American though? Who knows... anyhow, I stand by my case.